PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pilots, You Are Losing The Battle.
Old 28th May 2011, 06:53
Romulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fedsec
I know the full picture guys and can talk until the cows come home. I need 5 short quotes or catch phrases. In the press you have a matter of seconds, there is no time for stories and you rarely get to elaborate.
Refer the mining industry campaign, that's how it's done.

Qantasia
Too self interested.

Everyone feels their job is going to Asia these days and they think you have it easy. Won't do it for you, doubly so given that the not just the average punter thinks Emirates, Singapore etc stand for a level of quality and service you guys (you are all QF after all) don't do any longer and that you're overpaid compared to the foreign people. If we all have to face competition why don't you?

Speaking honestly - SIA and Emirates are a better customer experience, simple as that. And that is part of your problem, there's little sympathy out there for your plight because you don't actually do anything for us that is so great. Pilots because they're just bedhopping flyboys who don't do much more than bus drivers and LAMEs because you're just bus mechanics as far as the person in the street is concerned.

If planes from other carriers fell out of the sky then you'd have a chance, but as it is you're just seen as part of an organisation that's too expensive for second tier service. Which makes it very easy for QF and others to paint you as they do.

And that's the crux of it, they're painting you and they're making the running in the public sphere and they're making you look like the bad guys.

Management are tearing down the foundations of an Australian icon.
Um, aren't YOU the ones going on strike and disrupting me?

Why should the average person feel obliged to assist you? All Alan wants to do is make you earn your pay and you're just wanting to slack off.

The "Australian icon" is well and truly overplayed and is a cliche that weakens your case unless you do something a bit unusual. Maybe get that song the Chaser guys did and flog that for a bit.

If you can think of some better or simpler ones please add to the list.I'm looking for ones that cover both groups so we can run them together.
Basic rules apply
1) tell me why it is in my self interest to care about you
2) tell me why you aren't the bad guy in this battle

The first the miners did well with their campaign, problem you have is that QF lead in no section of the market, there are plenty of Low cost guys out there now and the premium service of Qantas, well, it isn't.

So fight them with direct hard facts:

When SARS hit times were tough for the company and we took 0% rises. The CEO and Board took X%

When 9/11 occurred times were tough and we took 0% for the good of the company. The CEO and Board took Y%

In the last 10 years we've received A%, the CEO (including bonuses etc) has taken B%

If you take the money the CEO was going to make personally from the takeover then that would cover our requested payrise for N months.

And then trivialise the amount you are seeking:

If you take the entire pay rise we're asking for then that represents 2.3 cents per ticket. I mean come on, Joyce is on millions and he won't even consider 2.3c per ticket? And you wonder why we're upset!

Use correct figures of course. Even better to use QF figures so there's no way they can immediately counterattack by challenging your numbers.

You need to make your opponents look like the greedy ones and yourself as being purely angelic or as close as you can get. Forget being all technical, nobody in the rest of the world cares if QF bought 777s or the like, they only care about what affects them.

Sunfish is right, you guys are fighting the wrong war. Get genuine PR in from the outside.