PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 04:33
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
THS position versus "laws" and stick inputs

Salute all!

Good to see many of the stalwarts back here later in the day.

Garage! Until we see the traces of the FDR, we won't know if the THS was commanded up by the pilot or Hal. My reading of the manual indicates the THS will stay at last commanded position once system reversion occurs due to Hal's opinion of reliability/validity of several parameters. From then on, the pilot has to move that wheel. So doesn't look like it will continue to move nose up due to pilot stick inputs after Hal is in Alt 2 or Direct law.

Some points/thots:

- The sticks add inputs, so a forward 5 deg on one can be overcome by an aft 10 deg on the other stick. We need to see the FDR trace. Of course, there's the "I have it" button on each stick, and that is another thing I hope the FDR captures.

One pilot here commented about the Boeing approach. For this plane, I would like that implementation. On the other hand, how many times is an IP "helping" the newbie? Or an old salt is "following thru"? Our Viper family model had tandem seats, so I couldn't see student studly's hands or feel his inputs. The computers added the inputs just as the 'bus.

- Several old salts here seem to advocate that some of the reversion sequences and even the "laws" could be simplified. I shall throw my lot in with those folks.

- Warning and caution indications seem to be less than optimum with regards to the most essential pilot action at the time.

- I have a really hard time with the AoA presentation, or lack thereof. The plane seems to have a comfortable range from basic cruise and stall onset. But once things turn to worms with known air data faults that have occurred in the past, I would really like to see what those vanes were sensing. In my jet, the AoA WAS GOD!!! Didn't prevent a deep stall, but you had to work real hard to get to one.

- I would love to fly a 'bus on an approach to stall maneuver. Some jets I flew announced the condition in no uncertain terms - wing rock, shaking, burble, buffet, etc. Others were as smooth as silk with only a slight buffet or buzz ( delta like F-102A or Concorde).

So what kinda feedback does the jet provide that you are treading on dangerous ground?

Are the pilots trained to recognize stall onset without having all kinda warning and caution lights?

and the beat goes on.

Gums sends...