PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falcon 7X Suspension of Flight Ops
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 03:29
FrankR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Zeffy, here's a copy and paste regarding the process for AD issuance. It's the same language found at most all FAA/EASA member sites. It says that the government makes the determination...
When is an AD issued?

The FAA issues an AD addressing a product when we find that:
  • An unsafe condition exists in a product; and,
  • The condition is likely to exist or develop in other products of the same type design.
Airworthiness Directive - Issuance and Publication

Second, Were you there when Dassault discussed this "request" with the EASA? I sorta doubt it. So I doubt you know what you're talking about.

Third, Does a manufacturer EVER tell the FAA/EAASA what to do? (or is it always the Feds telling them/us what to do?)

Fourth, here's a link to the wall street journal article. It spells it out clearly.
UPDATE: EASA Grounds All Dassault Falcon 7X Executive Jets - WSJ.com

Now, the article does say it was issued at the "request" of Dassault. This reminds me of a time when I heard a student pilot announce that he was low on fuel 30 miles out over a large bay. The controller asked if he wanted to declare an emergency, the student said "no", and without a pause, the controller said "OK, I'll declare one for you"

So once again, do you really think that there was an option here? Could Dassault say "screw you guys" when faced with such a catastrophic system failure?

I will say that Dassault did the right thing. When faced with a situation where there would no doubt be an AD issued by EASA, they took the high ground, acted virtuous, and demanded the AD be issued.

It's the tactic we should all do when faced with "Write down this number, and call us after you land"

FR