PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the class rating on a NPPL used to expire?
Old 28th May 2011, 00:46
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fake Sealion wrote:

This includes at least 1 hour "training" with a FI for that class of aircraft.

Xray Alpha replies:

No. It is one hour total time with an instructor on all or any aircraft you have an NPPL rating for.

ie If you have an NPPL micro, then 60 mins total with a microlight instructor (and can be a 30 min flight plus a 10 min plus a 20 min - doesn't need to be a minimum of a one hour flight)

If you also have an SSEA as well as a Micro rating on your NPPL, you can have 30 mins on a micro and 30 mins with a SSEA - that gives you 60 mins with an instructor.

If you had the full set, you could do 10 min with a micro, 10 with an SSEA and 40 in a SLMG!

(You still also need the 12/6 hours (8 as P1), 12 take-offs and landings, etc)

All very well being in the AICs etc - but even as an examiner I find it almost impossible to keep up with!

It was only confirmed this year that a microlight examiner could revalidate an SSEA rating if the applicant held a NPPL micro and a SSEA - and we have had a NPPL for how many years!!

ps. Of course if you don't have the instructional hour (at least with microlights) you can get a "single seat only" endorsement - so you don't even need time with an instructor to revalidate.

How that works with SSEA revalidation if you have that rating too, I don't know - and I am an examiner! (so at least I know to ask when that instance arises!)