PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 00:09
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The captain left the cabin 10 minutes before the encounter so must have looked at the radar 100 miles ahead and been happy with it. Sounds like the turbulence wasn't a factor according to the report but the handling of the erronious airspeeds and autopilot and autothrottle disconnect were. I have never flown an airplane that you pull back on the controls with stall warnings but my Airbus friends say you can and the computer won't let you stall. I guess that depends on whether it is in normal, alternate or manual law. I think that is why I refused to fly the Airbus. My 4 airliners and 70 other types said if you stall lower the nose and add power. Not one said pull back. That was our spin entry when I was teaching aerobatics.

All the airlines I flew at had charts for unreliable airspeed showing power and attitude for your weight and altitude which would have taken care of this situation. We also had very qualified pilots in both seats so all had basic hand flying skills which were tested before being hired.

Now a lot of airliners are offering 18,000 per yr for a 250 hr pilot because the airplanes are automatic and don't require pilot skills, according to the manufacturer. See where we are going? I know these guys had some experience when the captain left but how much actual hands on time?

We were paid for our experience.