PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 22:39
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Another question re: auto-trim and misconceptions

I don't think the thing works like we expect, RetiredF4. It doesn't even work like the Viper or Shuttle FBW.

After going thru the manual once again, looks like the trim is not set for a gee command from the stick. It's set for 1 gee at bank angle zero and a bit more up to 30 +/- degrees of bank.. In other words, if you hold the stick back "x" degrees for "x" gees, you don't gradually move the stick to neutral and continue at the original "x" gees you commanded.

So for you 'bus drivers!! Would love you to try it for real, but let's use the sim. Command 1.5 gees with aft stick and let us know if you can gradually let off the stick and maintain 1.5 gees. I don't think so. From what I read, as soon as you let go of the stick the plane tries to get to 1 gee.

The Viper pitch trim was gee, and stick commanded gee like the .bus. We had a roller trim doofer and could trim for a gee or so negative up to a max of 3.5 gees positive. The stick added or subtracted from this. So we could roll it ( trim wheel) full aft and do a really neat hands off loop that started at 3.5 gees, then let off once AoA got above 15 degrees, then continued over the top at 25 deg AoA until back to 15 deg AoA ( due to increasing speed), then come out the bottom at 3,5 gees. kinda neat, huh?

So the so-called auto-trim means you don't have to crank a wheel or use a trim hat switch when speeding up or slowing down or in a turn at 30 deg of bank +/-. Then, you have the plane (Airbus) trying to maintain a speed/mach according to the AP mode and also trying to "protect" you from bad conditions. The Viper had the gee command for pitch ( body rates and AoA blended), and so we had pee poor speed stability, but we stayed at 1 gee or the trim setting. No auto throttle, ya see?

One of the laws in the 'bus will crank the THS nose up if the computers think you are overspeeding. So with all the sorry data being fed the AF447 computers, I can see the plane cranking the THS all the way up.