PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 22:34
Ask21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep stall recovery

So it seems this plane was into a deep stall with nose up 16 degrees. Angle of attack 40 degrees. Vertical speed 110 knots. Horisontal speed low(60knots) Seems to me that the only option to get the plane out of this condition would be to get the nose of the plane into the direction of movment. Even full trottle would not be able to make a horisontal speed high enough to give a flyable angle of attack. So the only option would be to get the nose down in a steep dive.

I suggest using the rudders hard to one side to completely stall one wing get the plane to flip over in a spin would acctually help to get the nose down fast and then get the correct angle of attack back. An other option to get the plane to flip over would perhaps to give a high trust on only one of the engines - to create the nessesary rotation to loose all lift in one wing and get the nose.

I suggest even taking trottle to idle would not harm at all (once the spin is there - at suficcient altitude of course) - It might simplify recovery not have to deal with those nose-lifting forces and to rapid increasing speed diving with the nose to the ground. Simply get the nose of the plane into the direction of movementwould exchange height for flying speed rapidly and solve the problem. .

Also - I would like to know if comercical pilots ever practise stall recovery in a real plane in real air. I have practiced stall/spinn from 3000 feet in a sail-plane several times - and suggest practice of this method in a sailplane could be valuable even to comercical pilots.

The initial stall-spinn does not involve high G-forces. The G-forces will be felt when at high flying speed with the nose to the ground will slowly lift the nose back to horisontal (and then add some trottle to keep a normaliced flight) In my sailplane typically 2-3 G.

I'm not talking about "what to do when you get the stall-shaker alarm" but - what to do when your allredy deep into a stall - but horisontal wings - and nose up.

I also realize that there may be some flaws to my argument here- Im not an expert in this area.