PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 21:18
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ studi (#117 page 6) : Thanks for answering

Originally Posted by studi
I was thinking of speed stability in Alternate Law.
OK so this one, I presume (*) :
"A nose up command is introduced any time the airplane exceeds VMO/MMO to keep the speed from increasing further, which CAN be overridden by the sidestick." (source)
My problem with accepting this hypothesis is that as far as we know, the indicated speed was not exceeding VMO/MMO. In fact, it was the contrary if the last BEA note is to be trusted.

(*) another (low) speed stability function exists, but this one commands a nose down input, not the case here.

Originally Posted by studi
If we look at it from the other side, IF the plane was functioning normally, we would have a case of 3 pilots being TOTALLY inapt for their job, which I honestly can not even believe for Air France being the case.
Uh oh, I don't agree. They may have made a (fatal) mistake, i.e. not recognizing the situation. Are they to be called "totally inapt" for that? I'm not sure.
What were the conditions ? Why did they seem to loose all confidence in all of their "indications" (after having firstly correctly recognized a problem with the -sole- speed) ?
I don't know and some parts of the story are still missing.

MurphyWasRight's post #119 is for example very interesting with the stall warning on/off/on and the possible consequences of that on the PF's mind.