PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 21:14
JPI33600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter H
As someone with no aviation experience, can I ask how much a timely warning of [the likelihood of] UAS would have helped the pilots?
If it would have helped, perhaps more attention should be given to monitoring systems.
If cars can warn of hazardous road-temperatures, might not planes try to warn of ice-crystals.
As far as I can say, the requirements are very different: your car warns you about the external temperature, which would be useless for an airplane flying in an air mass at -50°C and below. The problem seems to be associated with ice particles having a very specific size; if they are smaller, they will be easily processed by the pitot heating system; if they are too big, they will not enter the pitot tube. Thus a suitable warning device would have to accurately predict ice crystals size in a timely fashion, say 20 seconds. With a plane flying at 300 m/s, that requires being able to monitor the size of ice particles having a diameter of a few millimeters as far as 6 km away, possibly through several layers of ice crystals having a different size. I can't imagine a way to do that with the technology currently available.