PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 19:57
max_torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firsty, i would like to say a big "hello" and "thanks" to everyone who has contributed to this fantastic record of Concorde development and Service!!

I grew up in South Oxfordshire, and on weekday mornings, at what i remember to be a bit after 11am, we would hear the "roar", and run outside into the garden to look up as she passed overhead. The most wonderful racket ! A perfect white arrow, spearing off to exotic destinations, we used to try to guess who might be aboard ;-)

Certainly one of the things that made me interested in engineering, and something to be proud of ;-)

So, here's 2 questions that i hope someone might be able to answer:

1) roughly, how many people worked on the complete development program?

and

2) How many total passenger miles did the fleet clock up over it's service life??

As someone who is now an automotive controls engineer, i have serious respect for the people who built and tested Concorde. We now take for granted being able to log and analyse data over 100's of channels at kHz rates with just a laptop and a small input conditioning box. Having been round 101 at Duxford, and seen the size and capabilites of the engineering flight recorders fitted (and the 1000's of wires linked to them) i tip my hat to anyone trying to get that all to work ;-)