PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't wait for electric/hybrid aircraft.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:22
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Skycatcher has a carb and carb heat. Don't think there's a FI option. This is on an aircraft that hasn't even been released yet - the newest of the new!
Oh well, it was built to be cheap and light (flimsy) and I would not fly one anyway. Carbs are a little bit cheaper than fuel servos.

My dinosaur Aero Commander from 1953 has an autolean function - you never touch the mixtures as it leans itself by barometric pressure. This is 60 years ago and they still want me to believe it can't be done in this day an age electronically? They're just cheap and complacent, as simple as that.
Firstly, that system uses a diaphragm which is known to burst, and the resulting rich cut stops the engine (if at altitude) unless you are really on the ball and pull the red lever fast.

Secondly, the system might do a general form of altitude compensation but it won't do any kind of thermal engine management for say a climb from SL to the aircraft ceiling (constant EGT all the way up). It also won't give you the choice between best economy (peak EGT or slightly LOP) and best power (about 130F ROP); this is very relevant if trying to fly anywhere near the operating ceiling, and requires (in your case) a manual mixture control all the same.

Altitude compensated carbs have been around for yonks but they do only half the job, and in any case leaning manually is no hardship. It is a trivial non-event, if you have EGT and CHT instrumentation.

If there was some kind of magic bullet which would bring a dramatic improvement to the old engines, it would have been done long ago.

Sure one can do small improvements but the adoption would have been small.

An oxygen sensor in the exhaust would give you the potential for accurate peak-EGT control but it would not deal with the need to fly ~ 150F ROP during climb, for thermal management of an engine which for weight reasons cannot deliver 100% of max rated power while at peak EGT because it cannot dissipate the heat which would be thus generated.

Nothing short of a full FADEC is worth having, and the history of those working reliably is hardly good. In aviation electronics, one is kind of grateful to have a good working radio!

I drive a nice old 1995 Toyota import and while it is built like a tank, I have had two engine failures through alternator failures. In this case, you have maybe 10 mins (at night) before it stops. A bit like a DA40TDi then Would I buy one of those? What do you think?