PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 15:05
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
It can. 3-D disorientation is a common phenomnon in instrument flying.

Part of the purpose of instrument training is to get you to focus on your instruments, regardless of spatial disorientation, and to develop scan patterns that allow your brain to sort out what the aircraft is doing. It's a skill that is useful to practice in case you need it. If you have some instruments that are of doubtful accuracy, most scan training teaches you to cross check other instruments to see what the aircraft is doing. (I called this "partial panel scan" in another thread but that may not be the current term of art).

Now, if you are stalled, the flight controls don't respond as they normally do, getting unstalled on instrument scan (the first time you do it) is a bit tougher than simply flying maneuvers on instruments. If you are stalled and rotating, the degree of difficulty goes up an order of magnitude or so. (First time I ever did a training spin "under the bag" in instrument training was an eye opener. It took a few tries to get the hang of what I needed to do, and to actually do it. Some years ago in a single engine trainer).