PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Pilots 'unfit for flying' Sent Home
Old 27th May 2011, 08:17
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GN, I had considered posting the following before but held back:

It has been an official view that as far as some papers are concerned: MOD=bad: Troops (RAF)=good.

This can be modified to read:

Brass=bad: Troops (squadies etc)=good.

In otherwords the higher up the ladder the greater you are in the spotlight whereas the lower down you are downtrodden working classes.

As I said before, their job is to sell papers and who buys their papers? The highest 'scandal' which was either in the Mirror or the new Sun concerned Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Each year he would fly to Canada for a conference named the Eagle River Conference. It was IIRC classified and he used to fly to Goose Bay in a Vulcan. What we didn't know, before it was published in the red tops, was that this was a salmon fishing expedition with a number of US military chiefs as Mountbatten was a 5* CDS.

It all came to light when the wife of an airman (cpl IIRC), whose job was to role equip the Vulcan, blew the whistle. Mountbatten cancelled the trip and pretended it was a false story. He made his displeasure known and I think the stn cdr's career came to a sudden stop.

Of course when squaddies indulge in naked bar that sells papers too.