PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody read yesterday's MX?
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 01:44
Cessna 180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have noticed that people not working in a given industry tend to believe that people that do are always earning more than the ones in it actually are. (grass is greener syndrome)

Have come to learn there is no easy way to make big bucks. Have met a few cleaners etc at mine sites and yes they make a bit more than in town, but no where near 100k and they work night/day and are away from home 2 weeks at a time.

As for road transport I can gross between 1500 and 2000 a week for b-double or road train work, but as someone else pointed out will be working 12 +hrs/ day often at night and away for long periods of time. Good money, but hard work.
Also a bit of experience is required to get these jobs, eg start on small rigid and work your way up.

The reason this pays well is because it is hard work and not many people want to do it any more because school teachers encourage folks to go to uni and get an office type job.

If transport companies had people walk in everyday asking for work the pay would probably be less too, similar to flying.

So I guess all we need is less people wanting to be pilots and the pay will go up! Haha