PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2011, 00:52
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early warning for (entire) System Graceful Degradation

Hi,

The goal has got to be a graceful degradation of the system if pitot ice happens
We donīt know "the algorithms" used. We could imagine. There is a lot of powerful things you can do with the "signal" from the sensors before sending their data to "upper levels".

Very probably we could introduce a "band-aid" to alert when the "error" between the sensors "start to increase". And this may help in providing an early warning in dealing with the "product limitation" of current available sensors.

I am assuming the Pitotīs are not "transformed in "altimeters", etc." immediately. The events are gradual, i guess. And we need testing to understand how the sensors "freeze" (temperature. and valid signal) This is an "analog world" with the "richness of mother nature".

From an Engineering point of view i consider an absurd what we are facing.

We need (the aviation industry) to do ASAP R&D on the issue. And we need "analog field" Engineers with Henri Pitot like expertise. The "bitīs engineers" need "better data" for their Redundant Systems.

The system being the a/c (Systems + Crew)

I think we may say the aviation industry is facing a "product limitation" (specs, cert, design, etc.) and not a "technology barrier"