PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Isle of Man during TT Week
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 22:26
blueandwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've done it a few times from Exeter and Dunkeswell to both Ronaldsway and Andreas over the years. Its not difficult in anyway.

I usually fly direct over Anglesea, but you can go up via the Manchester lowlevel route. Direct is much closer for Ronaldsway. I always call Valley as I go through the wales areas, but they never seem interested.

I fax the forms over to special branch in plenty of time and have only been "stopped" once, as I was leaving Dunk once last year. IoM special branch have never shown any interest.

I wear an imersion suit and carry a PLB, well her indoors carrys the PLB.

Ronaldsway is expensive, but helpfull. And Manx Flyers are very friendly, but a long way from the terminal if you need transport.

Andreas is cheeper, and very stony surface. usually no one there talking on the radio unless taking off or landing. One time the glideing winchmaster talked to me to say they would wait while I landed.

You can't fly over the TT course at race times, there are so many helicopters you don't get clearance. ATC are helpfull as they can be.

Guess you will have other questions. If you like PM me and I will let you have my phone number, or reply to any direct questions on here if you like.

I was there the last couple of weeks, but can't get back for the TT.