PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1.5TB external HD - partitioning?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 19:42
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re backups

OK - I'm a long time user of Acronis - The current clutch of hardware being a mis behaving clone Clevo 900T motherboad. A Dell Vostro 1300 Series - a 14 Yesr old Compaq (now a Internet Radio ) and a little Acer netbook.

The Clevo - The motherboad is 6 Years old and very tempremental - A poor design heatwise - I run a two spindle setup the main drive a new Samsung 160 Gb and the secondary a Futjitsu 80 Gb. running under XP SP3 - My primary backup Drive is a USB seagate 160 GB sata - Acronis image backup - every two weeks.

On the Clevo I use the schedule to backup every night via Acronis to the secondary - It takes 12-15 Mins -

The origional 80 Gb on the Clevo failed three months ago - no sweat - Boot disk prepared previosly, from Acronis - restored from secondary HD to new HD - Windows spotted the differences on first boot of the 160, and Bob's your Uncle - Up and going in three days - New drive took three days to arrive from a well known internet store and 15 mins to restore image backup.

The Dell single spindle, so a bit more time to restore. - The Unix box Netbook - has its own 32 bit fat, old 20 Gb ext drive - Simple backup for the Ubuntu group - It works too.

OK I was "Lucky" - the 80 Gb on the Clevo failed "Gracefully" - but If you are lucky enough to own a PC that has room for a second HD use it - drives are cheap - I have no connection with Acronis and I'm sure other software does the job verry well - but haviing a second HD on your computer is well worth the trouble..- Its backups out of the age of the Ark - but it works - The cloud is another matter.

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 26th May 2011 at 19:46. Reason: Spelling as usual