PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F speed too low?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 16:38
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When flying the A320/1 as per the poster above

<<When it's gusty, I usually tend to keep at least 160 kts with F2,>>

I always select speed now if not doing a gradual decel/ CDA and never let the aircraft get to F speed with F2. At 160kts you get a nice buffer. Personal preference I know but works well for me, I hate being at high pitch attitude low speed with lazy autothrust. Flying a 321 into AGP the other day, Conf2, 160 selected, the aircraft went back to just above VLS before deciding to add a handful of thrust.

I must add I also dislike the last minute take over of auto to manual thrust when it doesn't perform well on the Airbus. I find the majority of times it tends to destabilise the approach, B737/757 etc. are much more intuitive having the throttles in the correct position vs. matching the donut with the thrust lever angle etc. whilst being worried about airspeed on the Airbus.

Finally I would add that phase advance often ends in a balls up too from my limited experience... people click forward, nothing happens for a while, then whooshh.... click back...unstable...G/A. Also seen a Captain try a phase advance below 100'RA which went even worse.