PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 13:23
syseng68k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technology exists such that a pilot should never be in a position where he or she has to question the quality of primary air data. Air data systems on passenger A/C without the aforementioned should be rated VFR only IMHO.
Away for a couple of days and catching up, but the above just about sums up my gut feelings as well. This problem has been known about for years, with fwics, many examples of uas causing at very minimum, added crew workload and stress. I know change in aviation is glacial, but this problem should have been fixed as a regulatory requirement years ago.

Have been trying to think of a suitable analogy, so how about this:

Buying a new car from the showroom, salesman tells you how good and reliable the car is, but then tells you that when it's very cold, there's an intermittent fault that causes the headlights and instruments to fail. It usually only happens for a short period, but could cause a serious accident if the car is travelling at speed. The manufacturers have been trying to correct the fault for some time, but with no success. The advice is therefore, not to travel at more than 20mph at night. Does anyone think that such a vehicle would be allowed to be sold anywhere ?...

I think sometimes you need a sense of the surreal to put things into perspective...