PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airworthiness & Safety Post Haddon-Cave
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 12:57
Squidlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga, thanks for the info. on civil airline safety managers pay ("Safety Managers for Airlines - £90K+ - and they say NO when they need to"). I know the roles and responsibilties are different between MoD PT Safety Managers and airline safety managers but it does kinda bolster my view that the MoD Safety Manager role is undervalued.

Couple of random MAA snippets.

1. One of Haddon-Cave's criticisms was that MoD aviation safety regulation was in a confused state. Work to rationalize it (the JSP 55x series, JAP100A, AvP67, a few Def Stans, etc.) into a more coherent and usable whole is ongoing. The new version is due to be issued in the Summer. If they get it reasonable right, which is not certain given it is such a huge monstrous mess at the moment, I think it will have a significant positive effect on safety.

2. A fairly senior member of the MAA threw the following, almost randomly, into an email to me (about other things).

MAA is independent of the MOD and reports direct to 2PUS
Seems an odd characterisation, not least since the MAA is part of the MoD! The only justification I can see for it is the independent reporting. Perhaps this is a line that MAA members are being told to spin out!