PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 10:43
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chaps, nearly 30 years ago I was in the UAS. Loved the Officers mess and all it had to offer a poor stud.
Chopped, convinced I'd never be a pilot didn't want to join the RAF, or rather the RAF didn't want me.
Joined the City instead and got myself a PPL.

Many times I found myself in London after work, late, worse for wear and in need of a bed. RAF Club was a non starter, so it was a hotel or a cab home at a ridiculous cost , but it is Central London
Then they changed the rules! I have now been a member for two years and even got married there last year. In that brief time I have stayed there with my young family on several occasions and have always been made very welcome. I have never had any problems getting accomodation and find the staff and atmosphere most convivial.

Maybe I am looking at it with rose tinted specs, but it really is an honour and privilege to be a member. As for costs, I stayed in the Le Meridien ( other end of Piccadilly) three years ago and it was nearly three times the cost of the RAF Club. The food and drink isn't expensive at all by London standards. Ok, the dress rules could be more relaxed and a childrens playroom would be good, but you can't have everything. A colleague is an ex Life Guards Officer and he tells me the membership cost of the Cavalry club next door is twice as much.

Personally I think its good value, but then again I am not retired!

Last edited by rolling20; 26th May 2011 at 11:32.