PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 10:26
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF here. Forgive me for butting in, but what I find very puzzling about all the discussion on pitots, icing, FBW, human-machine interface, etc, is that none if it seems to consider why all this is coming up now. The A330, whatever its faults, was not introduced yesterday. It has been in commercial service since 1994. More than 700 of them are plying the world's airways. It flew in commercial service for 15 years without a fatal accident. Countless gazillions of miles have been flown by A330s, surely in all conceivable combinations of weather, crew experience, captain-in-cockpit-or-not, etc etc.

So what has changed? Why are icing pitots now a concern? Why is FBW now a concern? Why is lack of an AoA indicator now a concern? If there was something awry with the design philosophy of the A330, wouldn't it have shown up years ago? The A330 is, I presume, pretty much the same today as it was in 1994. So is the weather, and the way that pitots ice or don't ice. What does that leave? Is it the pilots that have changed over the past decade?