PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Qantas Sale Act
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 23:10
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1me, I understand your point and admit that I haven't looked at the freight case and who said what etc., however, it would be very difficult for a ceo and board to say they had no part in corporate strategy decisions.

The last attempt to privatise QANTAS was open and above board. That there was an element of conflict of interest was there for everyone to see and it was one of the reasons that an institutional shareholder decided to vote against the sale.

Should QANTAS be so stupid as to try and drive down the mainline to privatise it then it won't just be the shareholders up in arms. While many here continue to argue that QANTAS is deliberately destroying its mainline to favour JetStar, I have always thought that it was managements aim to wind back the mainline to only those destinations that can support a full-service airline, that is, where there is a large percentage of pax who are prepared to pay full-fare or business. JetStar was to pick up the discount pax, the tourist destinations, both in Australia and overseas.