PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 23:03
CogSim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leave the pitots alone... arright? ;)

With all due respect to the brilliant minds on this forum who have been discussing alternate solutions for the pitot issue and without sounding insensitive to the families and friends of those lost to this tragic event:

The issue of pitot ice, IMVHO, is not something that warrants a complete rethink/redesign of a major sub-system like the pitot-static system. Even if this was possible, it would take years if not decades to get this done. Inferring from Airbus and other airlines' response to this problem, its reasonable to assume that they think this issue can be fixed with minor tweaks/fine-tuning of the existing well-proven system. If this is in fact their assessment, I have to say, I agree with it, notwithstanding the scale of this tragedy. Are there any reported cases of pitot ice triggered UAS events on a/c with Airbus recommended fix (of replacing the pitots) applied?

Having that said, we may learn on Friday that pitots played a more important role in the chain of events than we imagined. Even so, it is hard to conceive of a chain of events that would warrant an extreme reaction like redesigning the entire pitot-static system. Does anybody else think this is the wrong approach? We may end up creating more problems than we solve.

Then again what do I know, I'm only a pilot...