PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ON TOUR: I know that I am mad – but harmless
Old 25th May 2011, 17:34
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have no objection to security at airports – BUT. I have flown how many times and used a see through bag bought at Lloyds chemist 10 years ago and no one has objected until a silly woman at Terminal 3 Heathrow last Sunday. Said it was not acceptable. She could see my toothpaste and eye ointment and one toothbrush. She made me change it. I told her that I had flown around the world using that for 10 years showing it every time and no one had challenged it before. She replied "Not acceptable at this airport". I could not be bothered to argue – but ridiculous.
I work at Heathrow and have to pass through this 'security' debacle every day. Just occasionally they find something in my bag which shouldn't be there - a tiny tube of toothpaste. They insist that I take it out of its own little plastic bag, put it into one of their plastic bags, and it then goes through the scanner.

On the other side of the scanner, I remove it from their plastic bag and put it back into my plastic bag, and give them back their plastic bag (as I don't need it any more).

At which point, they 'go into one' and tell me that my liquids and pastes must stay inside a plastic bag ... which it is! - my plastic bag, not theirs. But apparently, my bag is not good enough, it has to be their bag. Having been down this route on many occasions, I don't bother arguing any more, I just shrug my shoulders and walk off.

And the irony of all this ... my bag is one of their bags from a few weeks ago! Muppets!