PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying your own rating
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2002, 10:44
AMEX

V1 Rotate

HI. Funny I had never seen it from a Freelance point of view and I think you make a perfectly valid point. You have a "shop" and you need to get some supplies to keep your customers coming back which make great sense.

The only freelance I have done so far was on little planes so this idea didn't occur to me but couple months back I was contacted to fly the CJ1 on a freelance basis.
The offer went like that. £250 per day (LHS), Flight Safety Type Rating (N-Reg) and no bond.
On the negative side, no guarantee as far as the number of flights to be conducted every month.
I had a full time position so the job security was there and the company circumstances changed too so it didn't go any further but self sponsored type rating aren't the only way to go in the industry (I know none of you has said that).

Now during my talks with this company I had to deal with the CP of the managing company. A very nice guy who has been around for quite a while too. Anyway during one of our chats he said the following:
- I don't believe in Bonds since the jobs I offer are at the top end of the market, there is no need for it.
(to clarify, the CJ was not a top end one-obvioulsy- so he was referring to their own fleet instead-).

Since then I have kept in touch with this guy who not only is one of the most approachable and genuinely helpful guy I have come across in the business but who also share the same view about it.
Perhaps I am too eager to settle and have a long term career in a company, hence why I want to make sure that on date of joining everything I hope for is there.
I guess it is a bit like love, does everyone gets to find it ? Don't know but I am here to give it a good try anyway.

As for loyalty, I might be wrong but I feel this is something found in the corporate world rather than in the airlines industry. It is very common to find guys who have been with the same owner for donkeys years and not just due to the Pension Scheme as it is often the case when working for a "major".

What dya reckon ?

Petes Dragon
I hear what you say but from what i have seen, it is not rare to find some of the worst operators (whether it is from a safety point of view or pilots Terms and Conditions) asking for selfsponsored type rated pilots.
Here in the UK there was a company called Gill Air who use to ask money for their new entrants. Those guys were also the lowest paid in the country (by far with at one stage a salary if £13000 pa). Did it prevent the company to go bust ? Nope, ity didn't.
Don't get me wrong, I will still drink beer with those poor souls who chose to do it but it isn't how I do it, that's all.
I have no intention to drop anyone in so all I need to find is my match. One I ll have done that, when talking to me, you will be talking to the guy with the best job in the world

Hey JoeCo, I have only discovered how to do it a couple of day back but here it goes.
In the post, type [img] then the address of the picture found on a website (right click on the pic, go to properties, cut and paste the address here) then type [/img]
Et Voila !
It should look like that [img] http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/0/0/0/271000.jpg [/img]
but without any space after ] and before [ which should then give you

Good day all