PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 13:47
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr. Pitot's invention has served aviation well, worldwide, and throughout the ages, so calm down people ... !!
Very true. But maybe their time is drawing to a close Its not that the pitot tube has suddenly become inadequate. The issue is that the rest of the system has moved on over 200 years - to the point that the system the pitot inputs to now may not adequately cope with the occasional pitot malfunction.GIGO.

Pitot tubes must have been suffering from occasional episodes of icing for many years. The problem is not so much that the tube generates a false airspeed. The problem is that the technology may not be able to reliably pick an UAS state, makes changes assuming the false airspeed to be true, and the pilot is increasingly out of the loop with degraded SA.

I would like to see more emphasis on pilot training and simulation as suggested by others. I really would. Not to turn back the clock and throw out the automation. But to help improve the pilot:system interface, which is something I suspect has been neglected somewhat. For many reasons, I am doubtful that is going to happen however - a new generation less critical of technology, economics, start-up airlines in developing countries (with some very poor track records), existing airlines facing increased competition, reducing hours requirements.......

Its not just aviation. Its every aspect of our lives. Less understanding, but more acceptance of technology (? blind faith) despite this decreased understanding.