PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late clearences?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2002, 10:22
Final 3 Greens

FFF

I'm not suggesting that one should ignore information from A/G or AFISO services - in fact, a responsible a/c commander will factor all available information into a decision.

If you read Cesspit's post again, it infers that A/g and AFIS can "advise" on a course of action ... in other words give a clearance.

The incident you quote was an example of an A/G operator passing high quality information in an efficient manner and "suggesting" a sensible course of action. A pedantic zealot may point out that this is beyond the remit of these services, but I am not such a person. (And I bet the conversation wasn't held at 100'agl!!)

FNG

I respect your opinion, but fundamentally do not agree with it.

I would have called the ATCO - if he/she had said "sorry, I forgot you", I would accept that on the basis of human frailties and the matter would have ended there and then. One should also note that this is often the end of uncleared incursions into controlled airspace by pilots after talking to controllers who are usually reasonable people too.

However, if I really was not happy with the outcome, I would escalate to the supervisor.

The last time I did this was back in the mid 90s following a nasty incident on final and the subsequent investigations revealed a "blind spot" on part of the glidepath at a largish airfield.

Result, a CCTV was fitted in the tower curing the problem by helping the ATCOs to maintain situational awareness - not a bad outcome.