PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New eruption starting in Iceland? (merged)
Old 25th May 2011, 12:07
Calendar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've resisted, and resisted, but can't do it any more....so here's my first ever post!

It is quite astonishing to read such emotive & ill-informed nonsense from supposedly well-qualified professionals on here.

There IS evidence of ash (Met Office News Blog).

And even if there wasn't, the Met Office (as stated in their blog above) have absolutely nothing to do with allowing or preventing anyone from going flying. The Met Office provide the data and forecasts, and it's up to the aviation authorities to interpret that data and draw conclusions.
No airspace has been closed. By anyone.

ICAO have been asking the airlines / airframers / engine manufacturers for years to provide them with data to enable guidelines for volcanic ash flying to be formed. For years no data or research has been forthcoming (sorry Sir, the dog ate my homework). It is not the job of the Met Office to fill the gaps that the airlines etc were too lazy / complacent to complete themselves.

And as for having a fully-tooled up research aircraft that should be available 24/7, 365 at no notice.....presumably someone can recommend the aircraft model that never has, and never will, go tech?

(might as well start with a bang, eh?!)