PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal prop strike at Windhoek International
Old 25th May 2011, 11:28
lilflyboy262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot dies in freak accident at Windhoek Intl

Although I always remained clear of the prop when I turn it, I've never actually heard of anyone being chopped by a live prop, or believed it would happen. Apparently there was a broken mag wire. I guess it shows the importance of dead cut checks

Desert Air Pilot Dies in Freak Accident

A young Namibian Desert Air pilot was killed in a freak accident at the International Airport (Hosea Kutako) after sustaining serious head injuries on Monday.

The 21-year-old Mr Tiaan Oberholzer, died in the intensive care unit of the Roman Catholic Hospital in Windhoek.

The freak accident happened yesterday afternoon shortly after two o'clock when Mr Oberholzer ran his plane to inspect it before he would take off.

It cannot be confirmed with certainty what exactly happened. He was the pilot of a Cessna 210 aircraft and was pre-flighting the aircraft and turned the propeller blade and it hit him on the head.

The pilot next to his plane, Mr Roland Boltman, heard a bang and found him on the ground, unconscious with a serious head wound.

Two of Desert Air's planes were parked alongside Mr Oberholzer's plane and they were to fly tourists on a flying safari to Epacha Lodge near Etosha National Park departure.

After the accident, tourists, travel guides and pilots consulted with the guides and decided to continue the flying safari.

The Chief Pilot and Ops manager of Desert Air, Mr. Plichta, met last night with the other two pilots who witnessed the accident (Messrs. Boltman and Francois du Toit), and decided that they were to discontinue the safari from Epacha Lodge and were sent back to Windhoek due to post-traumatic shock.

"Their mood leaves much to be desired, which is understandable," Plichta said last night.

They have been replaced by two other pilots from the same company.

Last edited by lilflyboy262; 25th May 2011 at 15:09.