PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 10:33
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the utmost admiration for those of any generation who are or have been on active service, and continue to show my respect in a variety of ways. I have less time for those few who choose to denigrate the many who have had little or no 'operational' experience. Following WW2, they all wore their uniforms voluntarily, and that most were never exposed to enemy action does not detract from their readiness to do so in the professional manner of their day, often in difficult circumstances. Their relative lack of medals is thankfully a sign of a slightly more peaceful yesteryear, which can be regarded as partly due to their contribution.

That said, I side with those who favour changes that would reflect more 'acceptable' modern standards (eg dress code and opening hours), catering for both young and old. Maybe there should also be much more youthful representation and influence at Club Committee level?

And as elsewhere, like it or not, it's an Officers Club. That's not a Rowley-Birkins elitist view, it's fact, just as golf clubs are predominantly for golfers etc etc. If there are so many enviable aspirations for membership, the formula must be good -subject to some up-to-date tweaking. Also, the decision to open the doors to 'civilians' who have contributed notably to the RAF was financially well-founded, and the waiting list remains lengthy. But I suspect that is open to some criticsm in terms of room availability and unwelcome behaviour (and I don't mean wardrobe pee-ing or farting).

Last edited by jindabyne; 25th May 2011 at 12:39.