PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 09:40
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could get a basic single room (no en suite) for tonight for £61.50!

Seems pretty good price for Piccadilly and the "ambience" ...... surprised an airline pilot couldn't afford it!!
I look like a right cheapskate now! But I think you were lucky, Tettering.

I averaged about three nights there per month throughout my time as a Flying Officer. The prices were very reasonable and cheaper than any commercial alternates. At some point between then and now the there seems to have been a real price hike, far in excess of inflation. Maybe I need to stay in London at 'the wrong times' but the last few times I have used the Club it has cost me about double your figure, and about double the cost of a decent hotel room in central London on priceline.com. Therefore the RAF Club is no longer the first choice for every visit to London (as it once was) and instead it is a luxury for occassional use - no longer would I spend three nights per month there. Furthermore, like others have pointed out, the last few times I have wanted to use the RAF Club, there has been no availability and I have instead used the Chavalry & Guards next door or the Caledonian Club.

So if the place is fully booked and prices are high, how could they have a problem? The Charity Commission figure seem to show that their finances are healthy at the moment - as you would expect. I think there is a significant element of truth that the Club is being monopolized by the retired senior officers to the detriment of the younger members, and potential members. This is obviously good for the bottom line short term, but I think the management are beginning to realize that over-reliance on that sector, as the Rowley-Birkins gradually drop off the perch, will lead to a membership crisis in the future.