PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 09:23
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
HB

I think that you are being a little precious!

Depending on who I am entertaining I might go to a bar, VSC, Wagga Mamas or the RAF Club. I don't begrudge chaps wearing blazers, Regtl/Sqn badges, berets and dodgy moustaches, but that doesn't mean that I am instantly drawn to spending drinking time with them.

As a corollary, not that long ago I went to an RBL Club after a Remembrance Service and was harangued by said chaps about falling standards across the Services and the RAF in particular. These guys had left the services many years ago and had virtually no operational experience between them, and absolutely no understanding of the modern services, or indeed, what being on ops means these days. They meant well, but were of a different generation. Similarly some of the old fogeys at the RAF Club I have littel in common with. Earlier this year I met one chap, a retired Sqn Ldr, who was critical about the number of medals that we are 'issued' these days, implying that we didn't earn them. Jealousy, more likely!

The immutable fact, at present, is that the RAF Club membership is largely limited to those who hold/held a Commission. Until that is changed (and that would require a major change in the constitution and founding documents - affecting any bequests and legacies, amongst other issues - and approval of the Charity Commissioners) club membership will remain self-selecting. If I want to drink with the chaps (and ex chaps) I can go to VSC or UJC - or the local RAFA club (well I might, if I was in the UK!). Should I wish to.