PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 09:01
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How very sad

I've stayed out of this for long enough; I am dismayed to see the trend developing in this thread, which reveals a positively Jurassic mindset amongst some Ppruners. As a proud holder of the Queen's Non-Commission for nearly 20 of my 24 years in a light blue uniform, I find some of the attitudes & comments herein both amazing, and even insulting to the WO/SNCO cadre. I offer you gentlemen this, from someone who a) values & is proud of his time in the RAF, and b) made a very successful transition to civilian life 16yrs ago:

1) This is the 21st century, not the 1930's.
2) The British Raj declined some time ago.
3) Those of you who are retired: cherish your memories, as I do, but understand item 1) above, and bear in mind that the social stratification of a previous era may not reflect the social mores of the modern world (for good or ill).
4) Those of you who are still serving: don't believe your own publicity too much. It will hinder your inevitable transition to civilian life.

I sincerely hope that our American cousins on Pprune are by-passing this thread; the ridicule & scorn which would wing its' way eastwards on the Jet Stream would be simply too much to bear.

To the gentleman who was piqued by blazered ex-SNCO's at the VSC Bar; if these chaps are so proud of their Service that they dress so for gatherings or reunions, who are you to deny them this? You are breathtakingly arrogant, Sir.

I could continue on this topic for some time, but I must polish my Lordship's riding boots, whilst studying a book on Table Etiquette.

HB

Last edited by Halton Brat; 25th May 2011 at 11:41.