PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying your own rating
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2002, 08:56
Stratocaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a rumor site, right ? How about this one...
I hear that on the other side of the Med' there is a not-so-small charter airline that hires young folks at the end of the winter. The guys are so happy they pay for everything, and they fly for free during the summer ("line training"). Once the peak season is over, they're all fired and back to square 1 (or maybe 1.5 if you like, because they have roughly 100 hrs on jet). The next winter, the company starts the same game again. And again, and again, and again...

Regarding the guys in Canada, considering the real cost of a type rating, I'd say that some of their money is used to actually build the company, and in that case they deserve some sort of payback when (and if) it makes money. Some companies (maybe this one ?) will even include the line training in the bond, but that's a bit too far because it means they pay to fly as long as the company wishes.
"Screw the seniority, experience and all that crap, hire jobless pilots every 6 months ! We're here to make money as fast as we can to buy an island in the Pacific and retire before we're 40 !"... Yeah, right.

There are abuses on both sides, I totally agree, but nobody wins. The only decent way out of this mess is called "loyalty", but unfortunately there is no flight school or business school that teaches that.