PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 05:22
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
India Four Two: ZK-CVM etc

I’ve just returned from the Omaka Air Show, where I managed to get a really good look at ZK-CVM but didn’t get to meet the owner. It is indeed “in beautiful condition” as you stated, an absolute credit to him and obviously the result of a fastidious AND extensive restoration (for that you can read $$$$$!).

Walking around this aircraft it becomes apparent just in how many ways a Canadian-built Chipmunk differs from its UK (or Portuguese) built brethren. While I’d always thought the different undercarriage rake was difficult to detect in photos, rather surprisingly it’s readily apparent when seen “in the flesh”.

You’ll recall my earlier comments about Canadian windscreens – further research indicates that ALL Canadian windscreens (for both the DHC-1A and -1B) are identical, all having the same narrower cross-section (compared to that fitted to the T.10/Mk.20/21/22 – these photos show the difference:

Lastly, returning to Omaka, there were two other immaculate Chipmunks present. More and more I like the silver/yellow bands scheme! These were ZK-RFS (C1-0141, ex WB693) and ZK-UAS (C1-0633, ex WK621, G-BDBL):