PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 04:34
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deSitter, they might be considered to have killed themselves because of overreliance on air transportation. (If you can be crass I can trump you. If you think the programmers, designers, and everybody else involved with getting that plane into the air is not unset and feeling terrible about this accident you do not understand people very well. Programmers are people, too. And there are times we flat out TELL management there's no way in hell we're going to do what they want simply because it might have a significant probability of killing somebody when it shouldn't. Er we did some GBU-xx work in our facility. I was briefly involved in some of it. I could not handle the images that conjured. It was too close to real killing rather than communicating. I can argue that my work saved soldier's lives while they dealt with people killing me. Making the electronics in a guided bomb was just too much. We feel, too. And THAT is one of the reasons I support the military demands for Ada based software.)

So let's get real, OK. I used to be a company troubleshooter who got shoveled into situations where we had problems. I watched a high percentage of the programs that went through our facility. I was singularly impressed that I was never needed, never called in, for the Ada programs. Everything else, PL1, FORTRAN, C, Assembler*, and others needed me.

* several CPUs, usually to add features to something old.

Ada is more reliable. But, there is absolutely no way to make any human activity, even sitting on the potty and defecating, 100% safe under all conditions.