PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2011, 04:18
ExSp33db1rd

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't visited for many years, it's a long ride from New Zealand, but remember on one occasion when working for my last, foreign, airline, flying over from Frankfurt for a day, and spending the night at the club.

I attended breakfast next morning wearing a jacket but with polo neck sweater, and was admonished by the Maitre 'd who informed me that 'gentlemen' were required to wear jacket and tie in The Dining Room - I had forgotten, and must admit that I do find that a bit OTT at breakfast - but complied, the only tie I possessed at the time being my uniform black one, and as I would have to change to fly back to FFT later that morning anyway, changed into full uniform to return to the dining room and complete my breakfast. Entering the room with four gold bars adorning my sleeve, and carrying the scrambled egg peaked cap under my arm caused the head waiter to almost wet himself - I enjoyed that, and had a splendid breakfast.

On another occasion I entertained youngest son, then attending London University, in the Running Horse, and whilst waiting for him downstairs with my other son got a telephone call to attend the front desk, where I was reminded that visitors had to adhere to the dress code.

I apologised to my son for not reminding him, and he had turned up in a scruffy sweater. I suggested that he stay there a couple of minutes, that I would collect his brother from downstairs and we would drink elsewhere, but the porter offered to find him a jacket and tie, and he eventually turned up in the bar wearing the tie around his polo neck sweater, and a black jacket over it - he looked a right clown, but met the rules - "good on 'im" - as the New Zealanders would say !