PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 22:58
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smilin Ed quoting slats "If these systems fail, then control is thrown back to the pilots...."

As Self Loading Freight I find the thought that the automation flies the plane almost exclusively when things are going well and then when things get tough toss it into the laps of pilots who might otherwise get fired if they try to actually fly the plane rather than babysit some automation to be rather troublesome.

Something must be done so that the pilots, even if they are sitting there yawning with nothing to do, are intimately aware of the feel of the plane as a plane at all times. That way when things get tough the transition is not quite such a hostile appearing event.

The current situation might even be made nicer of a row of buttons appears on a touch screen display with options like, recover stall, slow down, TOGA thrust, AOA, and so forth so that the pilot can assist the automation in picking the strategy to deal with data that confuses the automation. The automation can probably react quicker. But the meatware can probably solve the problem quicker - today. (Yeah, I gotta add that proviso. I've seen some amazing "stuff" in the software world. One begins to feel redundant.)