PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is it on BA Mixed Fleet, are you enjoying it?
Old 24th May 2011, 21:44
yaletown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate the frankness of crew on the the new M/F flying. My only thoughts, and I am certainly not an expert in this, is that having worked for BA in the past and now working in North America, I just sort of see this as taking a North American sort of blueprint and placing it on a rostering and salary system, and I can see some problems with that. The whole single fleet somewhat works over here because crew are paid by the flight hour and fly a certain number of flight hours a month. Once we reach our flight hours, we have days off; therefore, many months some crew enjoy 12-17 days off whilst still being productive. It just seems in bidding for trips through a preferential bidding system, somehow we all for the most part get our needs met. Some North American disadvantages would be the seniority system that renders some routes unattainable by junior crews and the standby system at some airlines where one can sit on permanent standby until his/her seniority reaches a point where a schedule can be held (depending on the location, that can be years). Nevertheless, perhaps in time as Mixed Fleet evolves, conditions will naturally improve and mutually beneficial working schemes will be agreed upon. We all entered this industry for similar reasons: to travel and see the world, to have flexible working hours, and time off whilst earning a reasonable living. I wish everyone the very best at Mixed Fleet and I hope all of your dreams in aviation are realized.