PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 19:27
BEagle

Received 329 Likes on 115 Posts
Some personal views:

1. The changes to the subscription policy w.e.f. 1 Jan 2012 for the over-65s (I am not one) are unreasonable, particularly for those who didn't retire as some multi-starred wheel.

2. The smaller rooms really are VERY small; people expect more in this day and age.

3. The weektime dress policy in the Cowdray Room discourages those who go out for dinner from having a pre-dinner sharpener or post-dinner drink in the bar. So instead people stay out and the Club loses their custom. No one is going to go out for dinner, then come back and put on a jacket and tie just to have a night cap in the Cowdray Room bar!

4. The Running Horse stops serving food too early (2015), the choice is often rather limited and the bar closes far too early - 2030, for heaven's sake! The fact that it is closed on Sundays and the only alternative is the rather formal Dining Room is very inconvenient for people arriving on a Sunday evening. It's also quite uncomfortable for even a light meal; the old 'Buttery restaurant' was far more comfortable. The body language of the Running Horse staff makes it pretty clear that you aren't really terribly welcome after about 2000.....

The Club needs to attract younger members; personally I don't consider that 'jeans (without rips and tears), clean trainers and sneakers' are ever acceptable in any public room, but I do consider 'a suit or jacket with smart trousers (not jeans), a collared shirt with tie and appropriate footwear' somewhat excessive for a quick G&T in the Cowdray Room before going out for dinner, or for having dinner. I doubt whether younger members really wish to appear in scruff order, but what on earth is wrong with 'smart casual' dress?