PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 16:10
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Royal Air Force Club

The previous thread on this subject unfortunately degenerated into entirely unnecessary bickering on perceived racism and was predictably closed:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...cadilly-2.html

My own interest in reopening this thread has nothing at all to do with the ethnicity of the staff, but how it is financed.

As you can see I am coming up to 65, and one of the little perks I was looking forward to was the fact that my annual subcriptions to the club were going to be frozen at the level they were on my attaining the age of 65. Now I discover that wef 1 January 2012 (ironically my 65th birthday) this concession is being withdrawn.

I dont know what perception the trustees of the club have of a retired officer. Someone who retired at 55 on a full pension, maybe worked for another 10 years in industry/commerce and picked up another one, maybe has a rental property to add to the pot - all in all quite comfortable, thank you? In my own case I struggle to maintain my membership and visit the club once a year on my limited means, but I would like to keep it up as one of the few luxuries I permit myself. I suspect I am not the only retired RAF officer who is not exactly living in clover.

In the previous thread I saw moans from serving officers that the club seems to be run for the benefit of retired members. However if like them I were to be paying half a day's pay for membership on my present rate of income, my subscriptions would be reduced by more than 50% overnight .

By the way, what is half a day's basic pay for, say, a 6 year flight lieutenant these days? I somehow suspect he/she is getting a better deal than I am.