PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory before PPL ?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 12:37
Chuck-ski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL theory before PPL ?

Hello girls & boys.

Two questions (long ones !)

1. Can I do ATPL theory BEFORE doing the practical PPL ? (And hence skip PPL theory)

Although I appreciate that ATPL theory is in a different league to PPL theory, I do not know if the legal mechanics will allow me to do the practical PPL exams without doing PPL theory, even though I might have ATPL theory all done.

Reason for my question is that while I save for my practical intensive ATPL modular (sometime next year) I have acquired a second hand set of OAA books & am pleased to say I am managing to go through them, on my own, rather well (Since Chrismas Finished & roughly understood Gen Nav,Air Law & Met. - with 1.00 hours Total Time under the belt ). So to save time and money I thought I could skip the PPL stuff & spend the next few months hammering away at my old ATPL books & then say October time roll-on to one of the Long-distance ATPL courses ??? (I have a set of AFE PPL books as well & they just seem a thin, watered down versions of the ATPL stuff)

2. Second part of my question is whether UK CAA ATPL theory results are going to be valid in another JAR country for the purposes of doing CPL,IR & ME ??? (And hence issuing fATPL) I'm almost certain thats the case, just have not seen anything in print - would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks everyone...