PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New eruption starting in Iceland? (merged)
Old 24th May 2011, 12:12
EI Premier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funnily enough, I think last years reaction to an unprecedented event was sober and correct.
This years reaction is much modified and having just read the rules that my airline will be working to, I imagine we will be flying sooner rather than later.
Funnily enough - I think that despite the fact that there was NO direct feed of volcanic ash after three days from Iceland, Central European airspace for example remained closed.

I posted the relevant Satellite imagery with my earlier comments. The CAA themselves fully admitted this morning that the modelling of the Highly concentrated ash was somewhat out. The CAA have already deemed Aberdeen to be ''safe'' for operations once again. This CLEARLY contradicts the earlier VAAC model, in relation to the Highly concentrated ash.

Therefore - less of the vitriol. I never said anything about ''lack of balls'' or anything to that effect. I stated that the Southward progression of the ash as modelled, did not materialise - no more or less.

The certification for Operations to re-commence at Aberdeen is positive - because we are seeing that despite the modelling of the charts, the CAA are taking into account real-time developments, which was the essence of my original point.