PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL Revalidation - Does it cost £?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 10:31
mroczny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revalidation continued

I can update you on San Diego - 150$ for revalidation on experience (paperwork)...

Some background on my situation - I am a hobby pilot, flying only during holidays and only in the States. I make probably 40 hours a year. I have done my JAR PPL A 2007 in Florida (OBA), 2008 getting FAA PPL based on my JAA license. 2008 and 2009 I have done some hours building in Florida again, 2010 I have done my FAA independent PPL and FAA IFR.

I leave for the last 7 years in Eastern Germany, I will stay here for another 2-3 years probably, after that time I am going to move to a more developed part of this country. Actual flying in the place I live is not possible, cause of professional obligations and lack of planes for rent, despite the costs (over 300$ wet for one hour C172). I could forget the JAA issue, but I still hope to move to another place, where flying +/- joining a club +/- share purchase would be possible. But a type revalidation is pain... Last time I have done it somewhere in Florida, flying in, taking one hour with their CFI and having the things done, I see that I was very lucky in this constellation...

Is the examinator allowed to make a revalidation without seeing the aplicant (with sending/resending the papers by conventional mail)? Any other suggestions are welcome. Even if the present experience with California is a bit strange, I still want to continue flying in the US - I like the country, I like their attitude towards General Aviation, I like this kind of holidays, landing in the middle of nowhere in the night, swiping the credit card over the reader, getting fuel which is still exorbitant, but also still very "cheap" compared to Europe, getting all necessary information for free etc...