PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New eruption starting in Iceland? (merged)
Old 24th May 2011, 10:13
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaaasshhooo!!!!

Am I missing something here or does it appear that the people who are saying it's ok to fly through reported ash concentrations are desk pilots, who will be around to defend themselves and collect their vast pensions after the Accident Investigation??!!

Even if it doesn't get as far as that, there'll still be sackings when airlines have to shell out for the refurbishing of power plant which have suffered subtle "glassing" of the hot ends and abrasion of the cool ends, which wasn't noticed at the time.

Quite how I'm supposed to assess micrograms of particles per cubic metre whilst whistling through it at 480kts TAS has not yet been clarified. Also as flight crew I'm expected to perform an "enhanced pre & post flight inspection" of my shiny craft and certify same in the tech log, though I can't be trusted to perform minor maintenance tasks which I formerly could do, before the Eurocrats started to pontificate.

Also my B73NG manufacturer sourced QRH says I have to select Wing Anti-Ice on as I assess the 0.004gms/cubic metre is getting too much for comfort, yet several pages later it says don't do this above FL350 as I'll probably get a dual bleed trip-off and lose pressurisation. Can anyone with a hotline to Mr Boeing or Mr CFM cast any light on this?!

Commercial pressure once again dominates and the "Tombstone Imperative" waits to collect more bodies and wreckage. Why does the Titanic keep invading my by now confused thoughts??

But then what do I know about aviation, I haven't got a MBA qualification or some Air Transport degree? 40 years and 18,000 hours since first my sweaty little palm first gripped the column of a Chipmunk does not qualify me even to satisfy HR that I'm able to do aviation maths, understand and occasionally express English and that I'm a jolly good sane person and fit for the job!!!

Ohmigawd, that darkened room beckons again, and it's not even midday yet!!!!