PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 09:21
SoaringTheSkies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I donīt know how to do this without delving into contributing factors since there can't be a single cause.
ok, I agree, but can we also agree that the question of where the CPT was while two fully qualified pilots were on the controls, flying the airplane, probably is not going to give us the accident cause? It's a great scare item for the press to talk about (since the public seems to assume a FO is an "apprentice pilot" that has to be told what to do by that all knowing captain).
It is, however, SOP for long hauls and usually, nothing happens during the captain's break and if something happens, in almost all cases, it's being professionally handled by the guys up at the helm. It's an entirely superficial discussion.

Iīm afraid that we`re going to have to make do with what we have for a bit longer and learn how to live with it.
Yes, exactly, but as airmen, we should be able to weigh the facts we have. If I leave the controls in a single pilot operation, that's quite certainly a contributing factor for the events that will unfold, probably even the cause. If the captain leaves the controls and the cockpit is still staffed with two pilots who are licensed and capable to fly the airplane, it becomes a non issue. Not worthy of (press) coverage.