PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett closure at last
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 09:02
priapism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 cents in the dollar of outstanding monies owed- better than nothing I guess.

I had written it off from the start so all the payments drip fed to us over the last 9.5 years have been a bonus. I hope you all read ampclamp's newspaper article link. It still irks me that the government has actually made a tidy profit from Ansett's collapse. While employees will remain short changed and other creditors will get nothing. We should have got all our outstanding balances.

Water under the bridge - the collapse was hard on all of us to varying degrees.
The week after the collapse my wife had her work hours halved due to a new owner and cost cutting in the face of the extreme economic uncertainty of those days. We were hit with 1 and a half redundancies from 2 full time jobs.
All of a sudden I had to think about how I was going to meet the bills and when my teenage daughter was told she needed braces on her teeth - the $2500 cost tipped us over he edge for months. My dad helped out.

That said , I am in a way better place now. The collapse forced me out of my comfort zone and I am now realising my potential , academically and professionally in an entirely different occupation. I am only now making more money than 10 years ago and I'm working MANY more hours , with way more responsibility.

I chuckle to myself when I read about the threats made by the various unions at QF. Yes , management are a bunch of a#s#holes and things are tough on you but NEVER think your jobs are safe and your airline is immune from failure. I chuckle to myself at various reunions when I talk to some of my ex colleagues who were always whinging about AN management - working conditions etc. etc . Now they have a beer with me and tell me how good it was.

I hope QF employees won't have similar conversations in the future.