PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 08:54
warmkiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

After reading the press and so many equally stupid comments here in this forum about the absence of the CPT in the cockpit during the accident, i try to share some information for those who have obviously zero experience in enlarged crew ops on longhaul flights.

1. There are 3 fully licensed pilots available. The most experienced in longhaul ops, on type or area qualification-wise is not necessary the CPT. I flew 10 years as FO and SFO on B744 before becoming CPT on MD11. During those last years on the B744 I was for sure many times the most experienced in that area on the type in that day. Now I am a CPT on a new type and glad to utilize the thousands of hours of experience of my copilots. I sleep very well during my break.
2. Depending on company and country regulations it is clearly outlined what minimum experience is required to occupy the LHS. The ability to use a WX radar and be able to circumnavigate a TS with a turn on the HDG bug is definitely included in these criterias.
3. The restperiods are distributed to maximize the crews performance during critical periods of flight. this obviously is not CRZ
4. In my company the PF chooses his rest first, the CPT takes the second take and the 3rd colleque what's left. If the CPT is PF the CM who is sitting in the front during landing takes the second choose. This all is done taking into regard how each individual has slept last night, did someone have a long proceeding or maybe a little child home. First break might sometimes be as good as the last. All the little details, when, where and how to change seats, or when the CPT has to be sitting in his chair, are a part of the operators manual which has been approved by the legislator to grant the AOC for the company.

5. This aircraft had a unexpected failure and encountered severe WX and multiple system failures. This is very high workload on the Airbus and if the absence of the CPT was a contributing factor will soon be found out.

cheers