PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 08:30
snowfalcon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annex14,
If this assumption proofs correct, once the FDR and CVR data are published by BEA, I am sure some people at Toulouse might have a rough time.
But the "Le Figaro" leak and the Airbus AIT 7 says there is no need for any immediate action on the A330 right now. This suggests that even if there were some computer bugs identified, they would be fixed by now. "Too bad for the 228 souls on AF447, but good for the future", one could say.

To my humble mind the recent leaks make this accident fit into the same category as what seems to be the current most common reason for aviation accidents:

Something unexpected happens, and the resulting corrective crew actions go haywire*.

Now the key issue looking forward is how to address that in order to improve on safety in the future. I see three scenarios:
1) add crew training to handle such "upset" situations in a safer way
2) add airplane automation to handle such situations
3) a "preventive system approach" to further minimize the risk of unexpected situations occurring. For example, speculating on the AF447 case, other routing and ATC options may have allowed the plane a safer routing around the bad weather zone. Or, a stricter AD regulation framework with quicker response to detected problems may have resulted in new pitot tubes being fitted before the accident flight.

Just my 2 cents.

*) Edit: this is, admittedly, coming from the GA side of aviation where crew training is arguably at a lower level. But it seems that a similar pattern is visible also on the commercial side.

Last edited by snowfalcon2; 24th May 2011 at 08:40. Reason: footnote added